Friday, June 1, 2007

La fin de la semana

Aujourd'hui, c'est le vendredi!

Not entirely proper for me to fully celebrate this Friday, as it's only been a 4 day week, but it feels good nonetheless.

This coming week is reunion. Essentially, 1,000 people from about 10 different classes will descend on our small campus for a weekend, while we poor schmucks run and around trying to master the artful blend of being bright-eyed and bushy tailed youngsters for the alumni to gaze nostalgically at, and having our butts worked like dogs to haul everything from storage to the reception areas. Fortunately, Madamoiselle Schram will be joining us and so she and I plan to tag team on the social end of it, which should be fun. She is excellent at small talk.

Also on the upside, they're paying me $200 + 5 days worth of free food. Considering that food is my biggest daily expense, this should work out nicely as a savings, even if I am forgoing the chance to make the full ~$460 I normally would during the work week. But I'll work in the library half of the week, make around $200 there, so it'll be a $400 week. Nothing wrong with that.

On my way home last night from work, I was riding the bus with an middle-aged woman who demanded to know my secrets for Sudoku. To be fair, I am not an expert by any means, given that I only started playing it 2 weeks ago, so it still takes me about 45 minutes to do a professional one. But apparently, she is a software designer person who moonlights as a fashion designer (what a wonderful world we live in, nu?), and she approached it like a typical computer science person would: algorithms. Crunching each row painfully can get you the right answer.......sometimes. But more often than not, there just aren't enough clues given at the beginning to do that kind of slow burn through the puzzle. My method is more haphazard and intuitive, but it works. So let this be a lesson to all of you computer science people: Programming ≠ real world. This is one of the few times I get to take a pot shot at another major for being less realistic than my own, and I am enjoying it.

Another quiet weekend ahead. Need to nail down with Henry and Cooker when they are flying here (early August), and start looking to cough up the money for a plane ticket home in August myself for Nelsen's wedding. Plus rent. Joy.

Adios hasta la fin de la fin de la semana. Spanish is fun.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

El fin. Come on, man.