Wednesday, October 31, 2007

And so it goes

Well, the half-way point of my sojourn in Espana has come and gone.

Et aujourd'hui, c'est Halloween!

Those two sentiments pretty much sum up the experience. My Spanish is much better than I ever could have hoped for, but I just recently realized something: my French is deteriorating at a asymptotic pace. I recently tried to do the months of the year, and I couldn't without some help. Forming simple sentences is difficult, and to hell with longer ones. I can still read it (Thank you, random stranger who translated a "South Park" episode into French), but all the same, it seems like one language is indeed coming along at the expense of another. Alas.

Additionally, no matter what anyone may tell you about how much the rest of the world hates America (and they do), the southern Europeans, at least, cannot seem to get enough of our culture. They know our movies. They listen to our music. They steal our words. And even now, I see kids walking up and down the streets of Granada in Halloween costumes. Just tonight, there was a crowd of thronging college kids pushing to get into a costume shop. It was a bit unbelievable.

Not much doing today; midterms went well and classes are chugging along at their lethargic pace. Viva Espana.

No comments: