Monday, September 10, 2007

The Alhambra

What an amazing past 3 days.

Currently, I'm waiting for my roommate to get home b/c I'm having a little bit of trouble getting my camera and my computer to cooperate, and he's a bit of a comp whiz. So in the meantime, I write. Although not for long, because my host dad is waiting for me to play FIFA soccer.

On Saturday, we woke up really, really, really early to go to a nature park on the interior Mediterranean coast (a bit south of Murcia and Valencia), called Cabo de Gata. Essentially, its miles and miles of coast and arid mountains, but its very beautiful. In fact, several scenes from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (among other movies) were filmed there. The beaches were stunning, and we did some serious hiking over the hills. The pictures summarize the experience better than any words that I can come up with, but it was a deeply memorable experience.

We were treated to a big dinner at a local pizza restaurant, but we didn't actually return to Granada until 11:30 at night. I was feeling a bit restless, so I wandered my neighborhood for an ice cream cone. Fortunately, I managed to snag one around 1:30 before the place closed.

What I appreciate about Granada so far is that its a small city, which means its very easy to get around, and its safe. In spite of the fact that its not as big as Madrid, for example, there are still plenty of places to go, and plenty of things to do, even into the wee hours of the night.

Sunday, I crashed. Pure and simple. Didn't wake up until 2:30, but then around 8, I went to a little cafe/bar on the Gran Via and had a beer with some friends, we then met up with my host parents and went to their favorite bar not far from where we live. It was called "The Perra Gorda" (The Fat Dog), and it was very punk, but very cool. We played foosball, (won 1, lost 1), and then we finally all traipsed home around 12:30.

So I will wait until my roommate arrives to put up the pictures and tell about the Alhambra.

The Alhambra cannot be explained in words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoooooa Brian in Spain! Crazy awesome! I hope to keep reading more exciting things about your semester. Also, I <3 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, so I'm pretty jealous.

-Amy

Chuck said...

"The pictures summarize the experience better than any words that I can come up with..." Copout. Let's see some eloquence, yo!
Man, it must be cool being in Spain. 'Cept that you have to relearn vosotros. Espero que tú y tus amigos tengais un buen tiempo. No sé si tengas amigos allí ya. Pero, ... pues, ojalá conozcas amigos, supongo. Tengo ruso este semestro. Escribir en español me lleva al pasado.