Friday, September 7, 2007

Tengo calor

Its hot here in Granada.

So a follow up. Let me describe to you my "family".

Maria Eugenia and Juan (known as Juanjo), are a young, unmarried couple. They live near the center of town, and only a 10 minute walk from the university. They are very cool. Maria is an architect and Juan is a cook at a hospital. They have a golden retriever named Nana, and Juanjo plays X-Box 360. Last night, after I came home from the bar (more on that in a minute), Juanjo and his friends were playing FIFA soccer on the X-Box 360. They insisted I play with them and it was a lot of fun. I feel very lucky to be living with such people. They are very kind and patient.

Now about the nightlife. Granada has a tradition that if you go to a bar and order a drink (unlike the US, bars in Granada serve drinks of all varieties. Coffee, tea, beer, wine, spirits, fruit juices, and soda.), you get free tapas. Tapas are sort of like mini-appetizers. So if you go cruising bars, you can essentially get a free dinner. Its endemic to Granada only, but its really a good way to eat.

I am really enjoying myself here so far, but I am being careful not to get too carried away. We were warned repeatedly that there is often a period of depression after the first week or so, so I don't want to fall too hard or too fast if and when that happens.

Pictures coming this weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments: