Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Halls of Shahmballah[sic]

I don't know much about Three Dog Night, but I do like this song.

Interesting as that may seem, dear reader, I do promise there is a diamond in that non sequitur rough. I am reading a book called "Tournament of Shadows", which is a detailed account of the Great Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game). I was deeply amused that humanity's history of searching for utopia has firm foundations. The invocation of Paradise in The Divine Comedy in the Middle Ages. The quest for El Dorado by the conquistadores. And most recently, the pursuit of a Paris Hilton-free day of news coverage by modern Americans. Nestled in all of that is how both the British and the Russians duped themselves into thinking their the coveting of Tibet and its environs was part of some national spiritual fulfillment that would come when one of their national heroes discovered fabled "Shamballah". This metamorphosed 150 or so years later into a pop song by an almost forgotten band of the '60's and '70's, wording altered of course to "Shambala". (Look it up, its by Three Dog Night) What all of this is pointing to is that Paris Hilton's next move will be to convert to Buddhism and go in search of "Shamba-thingy." Would that not complete the wheel of history?

Anyway, this is one of those times when I discovered that I actually have something meaningful to type idly about. Although I want to be brief, because my math calls me. The last Harry Potter book was a smash. Perhaps it'll never deserve a place in anyone's collection of the classics, but as a coming of age novel, it was fantastic. Before book 7, I would have said that Severus Snape is the most finely painted character in the series. He certainly seemed the most complex. However, Rowling really surprised me by really giving Albus Dumbledore the depth his character truly deserved, and there were parts of the book that genuinely moved me. Completely worth the hour's wait in line. "Thumbs up!", as Angela would say.

Saturday was Marina's birthday, but we went out on the town on Sunday. It was a great day; like true nerds, we went to see "Whales" at the IMAX and had brunch at a really sweet Jewish delicatessen at Coolidge Corner. We wrapped it up by getting some ice cream injected pastries in the North End.

God, will I miss Brookline. I hope I can live here again someday. A part of me will always be on Foxcroft Drive in Finneytown, but Brookline isn't far from my heart either. I really miss Henry and the Kormans, too. I haven't lived on Foxcroft in almost 10 years, but there will always be something intensely familiar about stepping in their front door.

All right, all right, my integrals call me. Goodnight.

No comments: